1. You will have permanent ‘headphone hair’. Try as hard as you like, you will always end up with dreadfully flat hair at the end of a voicing session. We learnt early on that it’s a waste of time trying to fix it, because it always comes back.
2. You become germ-phobic. Let’s face it, as a voiceover, having social contact with anybody with the slightest cold or sniffle could lead to financial ruin. If you wake up one day with a cold, your voice isn’t going to be much cop. And no voice = no jobs. So if somebody runs away from you next time you cough, they could well be a professional voiceover!
3. You talk to yourself. A lot. We knew this going into the business, but as a voiceover you have to spend a lot of time in a confined space, talking to people you cannot see – and will probably never meet. Plus, those ‘invisible’ people always seem to keep you waiting. When we see that written down, it’s kind of a weird career choice, isn’t it?!
4. You end up with the weirdest party tricks. Being able to speak for precisely 30 seconds hardly screams ‘fun dinner party guest’, does it?!
5. You can feel under house arrest. These days, most professional voiceovers have a studio at home, so if you’re not careful, you could end up never leaving the house!
Despite the awful headphone hair, we love what we do. If you’re looking for a professional voiceover for a personal or business project, we work with some of the best pro voices in the world. Have a listen to our samples and decide which voice would best suit your needs.